Although the terms ‘content’ and ‘copy’ or ‘copywriting’ are often used interchangeably, there are subtle differences.
Content is material that’s not directly selling to the reader in any way.
Think articles, blog posts, YouTube tutorials, free e-books and pdfs, etc.
Content may, of course, be part of a content marketing strategy – creating high-quality, useful content to position you as an expert, thought leader or trustworthy brand.
As such, the primary purpose of the content itself is to inform, educate, entertain or inspire the reader.
It’s not designed to trigger a sale or an action right now, but when that person is looking for what you are selling or offering, they are more likely to remember – and trust – you.
So what content services do I offer?
BLOGGING & SOCIAL MEDIA
If you are a business, professional, or third sector organisation – you’re probably on this page because you keep hearing you should be blogging or using social media. Or most likely, you know you should be doing both, which is why I have lumped them together like this.
You don’t have to hire me to do both; I offer them as separate services too. (Although remember that blogs and social media are basically the Ant and Dec of the digital world – you rarely see one without the other and they don’t really work by themselves…)
You may have a blog and social media accounts set up already; you may even have tried your hand at posting. But whether it’s lack of time, lack of ideas, lack of confidence, or just not really ‘getting it’, you’re feeling stuck and frustrated.
You’re in the right place.
- Come up with original ideas for your blog and/or social media
- Plan out your blog and/or social media content for the next few weeks or months
- Create all your blog and/or social media content
- Publish and schedule content to your blog and/or social media
- Check over, tidy up or re-write your blog and/or social media content
I can work on a monthly retainer for you, or you can hire me now and then to write or edit a blog post here and there. Whether you just need an extra pair of eyes or hands for your blog, or you need someone to look after it for you entirely, get in touch today.
NEWSLETTERS & ARTICLES
Although traditional newspapers and magazines are in decline, most publications are straddling the line between paper and pixels rather effectively. As with books, technology may steal a share of the pie, but it doesn’t push the old media off the table. People still consume print as well as digital media, and smart publishers have learned that many of us enjoy both.
Bear with me, I do have a point!
Born in 1983, I am a digital native with an analogue heart – I learned to read and write with books and pencils, but by the time I left full-time education I was Googling coursework research and ordering college textbooks on Amazon.
I instinctively know how to create content that works for both. So, whether you need editorial for a web publisher or an advertorial for your local paper, I’ve got you. Whether you decide to email your newsletter or put it through letterboxes – I’ve got you.
- Come up with original articles
- Plan out your newsletter content
- Create all your articles
- Use MailChimp to create a list of subscribers for you, or email newsletters to your existing list
- Liaise with newsletter designers and printers
- Check over, tidy up or re-write articles and newsletters
PRESS AND JOURNALISM
So, as you may have gathered by now, I’m a journalist! Fact-finder, data-gatherer, page-botherer and all-round Word Nerd in Chief around these parts. So, if you want to get your story on to the pages of a publication, I can help.
- Come up with stories and angles
- Create press releases and media packs
- Distribute press releases to my contacts list
Likewise, if you are an editor looking for a creative, flexible, friendly features writer, you’re in the right place. I am a member of the NUJ and have experience in news, business, arts, features, lifestyle and interiors – although arts and features are definitely where my heart and my strengths lie.
- Pitch creative feature ideas, angles and follow-up stories
- Research, interview, data-mine
- Provide typed transcriptions of my interviews
- Write and compile articles and source high-quality imagery